G7 Nations Claim Fail to ‘Capture Progresses Made in Tigray’

ADDIS ABABA – Group of Seven (G7) nations’ latest claim on the Tigray regional state has failed to capture important steps taken to improve the overall situation in the region, federal government said.

Earlier this week, foreign ministers of the G7 countries issued a statement demanding, among others, an investigation into alleged human rights violations committed and unfettered access to humanitarian aid in the Northern Region of Ethiopia.



In a statement Saturday, Ethiopia’s Foreign Ministry said the Government has continued intensifying its efforts to address the situation in the Tigray region.

It “has made enormous progress since the law enforcement measures have come to a successful conclusion”, it said.

“Although these positive developments have been recognized and are visible for all to see,” it said the G7’s Foreign Ministers statement “has failed to capture some of the important steps taken to ensure that the pressing needs of the region are in the process of being fully addressed in all fronts”.

The ministry said some of the demands of the G7 nations have already been addressed.

“Unfettered access to humanitarian aid, including international media, has now been fully granted and joint investigation on human rights violations by international human rights experts has also been allowed and will commence soon,” it said.

The Eritrean troops who had crossed the border when provoked by the TPLF have now started to evacuate.

The Ethiopian National Defense Force has taken over guarding the national border, according to the ministry.

Despite these measures, the Ministry said resources that should have been garnered from the international community to meet the humanitarian and development challenges remain far too low.

Authorities believe most governments who consistently ask for unfettered access have failed to support the humanitarian response in the region.

“Mobilizing adequate resources, therefore, should be the utmost prior task if the challenges of the region are to be fully and timely addressed,” reads the ministry’s statement.

The Ethiopian government is currently providing humanitarian support to 4.2 million people in need of aid.

The supply coming from the international partners is way below one-third of what is needed, according to the ministry.

“Therefore, whilst the government of Ethiopia honesty appreciates the concerns being expressed, it has already been too apparent that the supply of food and medicinal aid must be the crux of expressions of concerns,” the statement concludes.

Share this

One thought on “G7 Nations Claim Fail to ‘Capture Progresses Made in Tigray’

Comments are closed.