The Walias Record Back-to-back Win in US Tour

The Ethiopian National Football Team made it a back-to-back win in a newly arranged friendly match against Loudoun United in their US tour.

The Walias were expected to play against the Atlanta Rovers FC team when they returned to action with their second friendly on Saturday. Instead, the team played another USL championship side, Loudoun United, at Segra Field Stadium.

Coach Daniel Gebremariam included  Marcus Velado Tsagaye, one of the two foreign-based players, into his starting eleven while the other one Goalkeeper Daniel Negussie and captain Shemeles Bekele began as the substitute.

The Walias had to come from behind to win, thanks to three goals in the second half.

Surafel Dagnachew’s 30th-minute goal gave the Walias a lead but Loudoun United leveled immediately. The first half ended without an additional goal.

Shemeles, who came in the second half, scored in the 63rd minute to put his team ahead 

Goalkeeper Daniel saved a penalty while Aschalew Tamene netted the third from the spot for the Walias. Yihun Endeshaw scored his side’s last goal midway into the second half.

The home team pulled one back. The match, however, ended with a 4-2 win for the Ethiopian side.

Scores: 30′ Surafel Dagnachew, 54′ Shemeles Bekele, 63′ Aschalew Tamene (P), 76′ Yihun Endeshaw.

Starting XI:

23. Fasil Gebremikael, 2. Suleiman Hamid, 16. Yared Bayeh, 15. Aschalew Tamene, 20. Remedan Yesouf, 8. Amanuel Yohannes, 17. Surafel Dagnachew, 19. Kenean Markneh, 27. Marcus Velado-Tsegaye, 14. Chernet Gugsa, 7. Abel Yalew

Two players Sent back home

Coach Daniel excluded Yosef Tadele and Birhanu Bekele from his team due to disciplinary issues. The two players found themselves in a quarrel prior to the friendly with the Guyana National team on Thursday.

The Ethiopian Football Federation (EFF) cited the duo’s misconduct ahead of the first international win against Guyana as a reason for their omission. Both players were eventually sent back home.

EFF In talks for another friendly 

The Walias were scheduled to play against the Atlanta Rovers FC, a United Soccer League team on Saturday.

However, the match failed to sell tickets, forcing the Rovers to cancel the friendly and the Walias to stay in Virginia,  the EFF said in a statement. The team will stay in Virginia and the Federation said it is in talks with DC United over the possibility of a friendly match.