ADDIS ABABA – Tsehafi Taezaz Aklilu Habte-Wold has been awarded the annual special ‘Bego Sew Award’ for his contribution to Ethiopia and its people.
Tsehafi Taezaz Aklilu served his country as foreign minister from 1947 to 1958 and Prime Minister from 1961 until his death by the Derg execution in 1974.
His key role in the establishment of Ethiopian Airlines is among his major contributions to the country.
He was recognized in the 2013 (E.C) Bego Sew Award ceremony attended by President Sahlework Zewde on Sunday.
This year a total of 500 persons were suggested as possible candidates in 10 categories. The organizers selected 30 of them as final nominees, in addition to the special award category.
Accordingly, this year Bego Sew award winners are:
1. Education: Dr Leulseged Alemayehu
2. Business and Entrepreneurship: Belayneh Kinde
3. Science: Professor Alemayehu Tefera
4. Social Studies: Professor Tilahun Teshome
5. Culture and Heritages: Bilal al-Habashi Community Museum
6. Public/Governmental Services: Dr. Eng. Sileshi Bekele
7. Art: Writer and poet Bewketu Seyoum
8. Humanitarian Works: Amare Asfaw
9. Media and journalism: Dr. Nigussie Tefera
10. Ethiopian diaspora who has significantly contributed to Ethiopia: Elias Wondimu Ashenafi