Sixteen Ethiopians Confirmed Dead in Libya Shipwreck

ADDIS ABEBA – About 16 Ethiopians have lost their lives in a shipwreck incident off the coast of Libya last month, regional communication office confirmed.

More than 150 people were feared drowned while 145 were rescued and taken to offshore, said the UN migration agency after the incident on July 25.

Thirteen days after the incident, officials finally said about 16 of the migrants who were traveling in a boat capsized in the Mediterranean Sea are Ethiopians.

Tigray regional state communication bureau said they are from Erob Woreda of the region.

About ten of them are women, the bureau confirmed, adding that, it offered condolences to the victims and their families.

Libya is one of the main departure points for migrants and refugees fleeing poverty and war in the Middle East and Africa and attempting to reach Europe by boat via the Mediterranean. Those who make the journey often travel in overcrowded and unsafe vessels.