Nearly 1.7mln Jobs Created in Six Months, says Commission

ADDIS ABEBA – Nearly 1.7 million new jobs were created during the first half of the current Ethiopian budget year, Ethiopia’s Job Creation Commission reported.

Commissioner Nigussu Tilahun reported his office’s performance evaluation of the commission for the first half of the 2020/21 fiscal year to the National Job Creation Council on Thursday.



The commission planned to create 1.5 million jobs during the period but succeeded in creating 1,692,910 jobs, Nigussu said.

The figure is 56 percent of the commission’s plan for the year and has also shown a 49 percent increase when compared to the same period the 2019/20 fiscal year.

Upto 62 percent of the total number of jobs created are permanent jobs while the remaining 38 percent are temporary, show the report.

Service sector has created most of the jobs in the period with the Commission’s report putting it at 44 percent. The remaining are agriculture (30 percent) and industry (26 percent).

Nigussu revealed that Addis Ababa City, Oromia and Amhara regional states registered better performance in the job creation effort during the six-month period.

The commission’s report has also put lack of coordination, reliable and quality information flow as main problems that needed resolving for further success.

Members of the National Job Creation Council have appreciated the achievement registered considering the challenges including COVID-19 pandemic, desert locust security, the country going though.

Share this