ADDIS ABEBA – At least 190 new cases of COVID-19 were reported in Ethiopia on Tuesday, bringing the total number of active cases in the country to 2336.
Today’s infection number is the largest daily increase for the East African nation since last Friday during which the country reported 169 cases.
The rise in the number of COVID-19, a deadly disease caused by coronavirus, in Addis Ababa and elsewhere in the country is due to the rise of local transmission, according to Health Minister Dr. Lia Tadesse.
The ministry of health identified the latest new positive patients from 4599 tests that were carried out in the past twenty-four hours.
Health officials described the new cases – 135 male and 55 female – as Ethiopian nationals with their age ranging from 1 to 89 years.
Addis Ababa, the epicenter of the virus in Ethiopia, reported 153 patients. The rest of the cases are from Oromia (16), Amhara (10), Harari (3), Somali (3), SNNP (3) and Tigray (2) regional states.
– Five deaths reported –
The ministry also reported five COVID-19 related deaths and eighteen recoveries over the past twenty-four hours.
All of today’s reported deaths have occurred in Addis Ababa, according to the daily report of the Ministry.
Three of them were getting treatment at health facilities and the other two tested positive through a forensic investigation on their death.
“This brings the total death COVID-19-related death in our country to thirty-two,” said health officials expressing their “condolences to their families and their loved ones”.
Currently, 193 patients are receiving medical attention in various COVID-19 treatment centers across the nation. Thirty-two of them are “severe conditions”, the health ministry said.
Meanwhile, the country announced that eighteen patients have recovered from the disease today. The ministry said eleven of them are from Addis Ababa while 5 from Amhara and 2 from Somali regions tested negative for the virus.
To date, 379 patients have recovered from the COVID-19 in Ethiopia.
The East African nation recorded its first case on March 13. Since then it has tested 152, 334 individuals and confirmed 2, 336 patients.
Image: Minister of Health Dr. Lia Tadesse