Ethiopia to Ease Farmers Access to Agricultural Mechanization Services

ADDIS ABEBA – The Ethiopian Agricultural Transformation Agency (ATA) has signed subgrant agreements worth Birr 91 Million with eight cooperative unions and two entrepreneurs for the construction of 10 standardized Mechanization Service Centers across Ethiopia.

Each of the center owners will receive Birr 9.1 million as a subgrant to cover 70% of the construction cost. The subgrantees will cover the remaining 30% with their own matching contribution.

The design of the service centers has also been completed by the ATA and will be handed over to the center owners during the signing ceremony.

During the signing ceremony on Friday, ATA CEO Khalid Bomba underscored the importance of mechanization in enhancing productivity and harvest quality, and thereby improving the livelihoods of smallholder farmers.

“Mechanization has the potential to improve yields, and reduce post-harvest losses, catalyzing exponential growth in productivity and income,” he said.

Ethiopian agriculture is predominantly rain-fed and seasonal, with a narrow window to conduct all agricultural operations from land preparation to harvesting, threshing and storage before the next rains.

This is aggravated by changes in climate, where out-of-season rain spoils crops before, during and postharvest as farmers struggle to beat the odds using human or animal labor.

This is further exacerbated by the fact that there is less and less farm labor as youth migrate to urban areas for education or seeking employment, leaving young and the elderly to tend farms.

“When implemented correctly and in alignment with appropriate use of inputs through agricultural commercialization clusters, mechanization will not only address this challenge but will help smallholders thrive as they produce and sell at a commercial level,” said ATA.

The mechanization service centers will be built in Amhara, Oromia, SNNP and Tigray, and will provide farmers paid access to agricultural mechanization services across the whole value chain—land preparation, crop protection, harvesting, threshing and transportation.

Moreover, the centers will also be used to train machinery operators, for maintenance of agricultural machineries, and sale of spare parts.

The Mechanization Service Center project is a three-year pilot project implemented in collaboration with the Ministry of Agriculture with the financial support of Denmark and the Netherlands.

Based on the outcomes of the current pilot phase, the government plans to scale up the centers to other areas of the country.

Share this