ADDIS ABEBA – Founder and Owner of the Fistula Hospital, Dr. Catherine Hamlin and her late husband, Dr. Reginald Hamlin, have been immortalized with a statue in Addis Abeba.
The statue – built at the Addis Abeba Hamlin Fistula Hospital – was inaugurated by Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed on Wednesday.
Prime Minister Abiy on the occasion thanked the founders for their outstanding contribution to Ethiopia’s health sectors over the past 60 years.
He commended the Australian obstetrician and gynecologist for her tremendous work of restoring the dignity of Ethiopian women affected by obstetric fistula, according to the office of the Prime Minister.
He expressed his heartfelt appreciation for the care-taking role she took of the most marginalized in their time of grave need. Abiy also bestowed an award upon Dr. Catherine on behalf of his Government for her tireless contribution
In 2012, Dr. Catherine received an honorary citizenship of Ethiopia in recognition of her outstanding humanitarian services she provided to fistula patients.
Dr. Catherine Hamlin was born in Sydney Australia and graduated from the University of Sydney in 1946. She met and married Dr. Reginald Hamlin, a New Zealander, when they were both Senior Medical Administrators at Crown Street Women’s Hospital, Sydney.
In 1958 they answered an advertisement in the Lancet Medical Journal for an obstetrician and gynecologists to establish a Midwifery School at the Princess Tsehay Hospital in Addis Abeba.
They began working in the hospital and training midwives and finally, in 1974 the Hamlins opened the doors of the Addis Abeba Fistula Hospital.
Thousands of women suffering from obstetric fistula were treated and cured with the help of the Hamlins.